- Westhoek, A., Field E., Rehling F., Mulley, G., Webb, I., Poole, P.S., and Turnbull, L.A. (2017) Policing the legume-Rhizobium symbiosis: a critical test of partner choice. Scientific Reports 7: article no. 1419. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-017-01634-2 (Faculty of 1000 recommended) OPEN ACCESS
- Isbell, F., Gonzalez A., Loreau, M., Cowles, J., Díaz, S., Hector, A., Mace, G.M., Wardle, D.A., O’Connor, M., Duffy, J.E., Turnbull, L.A., Thompson, P.L. (2017) Linking the influence and dependence of people on biodiversity across scales. Nature 546: 65-72.
- French, K., Tkacz, A. and Turnbull, L.A. (2017) Conversion of grassland to arable decreases microbial diversity and alters community composition. Applied Soil Ecology, 110: 43-52.
- Chamagne, J., Tanadini, M., Frank, D., Matula, R., Paine, C. E. T., Philipson, C. D., Svátek, M., Turnbull, L. A., Volařík, D. and Hector, A. (2017) Forest diversity promotes individual tree growth in central European forest stands. J Applied Ecology, 54: 71-79.
- Turnbull, L.A., Isbell, F, Loreau, M. and Hector, A. (2016) Understanding the value of plant diversity for ecosystem functioning through niche theory. Proceedings of the Royal Society, B. 283. DOI: 10.1098/rspb.2016.0536
- Saner, P., Philipson, C.D., Peters, S., Keller, F., Bigler, L., Turnbull, L.A. & Hector, A. (2016) Growth rates and relative change in non-structural carbohydrates of dipterocarp seedlings in response to light acclimation. Plant Ecology & Diversity, 1-14.
- Turnbull, L. A., Ozgul, A., Accouche, W., Baxter, R., ChongSeng, L., Currie, J. C., Doak, N., Hansen, D. M., Pistorius, P., Richards, H., van de Crommenacker, J., von Brandis, R., Fleischer-Dogley, F. and Bunbury, N. (2015) Persistence of distinctive morphotypes in the native range of the CITES-listed Aldabra giant tortoise. Ecology and Evolution, 5: 5499–5508. doi:10.1002/ece3.1764.
- Shekeine, J., Turnbull, L.A., Cherubini, P., de Jong, R., Baxter, R., Hansen, D.M., Bunbury, N., Fleischer-Dogley, F. & Schaepman-Strub, G. (2015) Primary productivity and its correlation with rainfall on Aldabra Atoll. Biogeosciences Discussion, 12, 981-1013.
- Guilbaud C.S.E., Dalchau, N., Purves, D.W. and Turnbull, L.A. (2015) Is ‘Peak N’ key to understanding the timing of flowering in annual plants. New Phytologist 205: 918-927.
- Schneider et al. (2014) Gains to species diversity in organically farmed fields are not propagated at the farm level. Nature Communications
- Lüscher et al. (2014) Appropriate metrics to inform farmers about species diversity. Environmental Science and Policy 41: 52-62.
- Tuck SL, C Winqvist, F Mota, J Ahnström, LA Turnbull and J Bengtsson. (2014) Land-use intensity and the effects of organic farming on biodiversity: a hierarchical meta-analysis. Journal of Applied Ecology 51: 746-755. OPEN ACCESS
- Turnbull LA. (2014) Ecology’s dark matter: the elusive and enigmatic niche. Basic and Applied Ecology 15: 93-100.
- Lüscher et al. (2014) Responses of plants, earthworms, spiders and bees to geographic location, agricultural management and surrounding landscape in European arable fields. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 186: 124-134.
- Joseph B, J Corwin, T Züst, B Li, M Iravani, G Schaepman-Strub, LA Turnbull and DJ Kliebenstein. (2013) High-throughput phenotyping and QTL mapping reveals differential nuclear and cytoplasmic genetic architectures for plant growth and defense within Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 25, 1929 – 1945.
- Turnbull LA, JM Levine, M Loreau and A Hector. (2013) Coexistence, niches, and the effects of biodiversity on ecosystem functioning. Ecology Letters 16: 116-127 (Faculty of 1000 recommended) OPEN ACCESS
- Sutherland WJ, RP Freckleton, HCJ Godfray, SR Beissinger, T Benton, DD Cameron, Y Carmel, DA Coomes, T Coulson, MC Emmerson, RS Hails, GC Hays, DJ Hodgson, MJ Hutchings, D Johnson, JPG Jones, MJ Keeling, H Kokko, WE Kunin, X Lambin, OT Lewis, Y Malhi, N Mieszkowska, EJ Milner-Gulland, K Norris, AB Phillimore, DW Purves, JM Reid, DC Reuman, K Thompson, JMJ Travis, LA Turnbull, DA Wardle, T Wiegand. (2013) Identification of 100 fundamental ecological questions. Journal of Ecology. 101, 58-67. (Faculty of 1000 recommended)
- Cozzi G, F Broekhuis, JW McNutt, LA Turnbull, DW Macdonald and B Schmid. (2012) Fear of the dark or dinner by moonlight? Reduced temporal partitioning among Africa’s large carnivores. Ecology. 93, 2590-2599.
- Züst T, C Heichinger, U Grossniklaus, R Harrington, DJ Kliebenstein and Turnbull LA. (2012) Natural enemies drive geographic variation in plant defenses Science 338, 116-119.
- Philipson CD, P Saner, TR Marthews, R Nilus, G Reynolds, LA Turnbull, and A Hector. (2012) Light-based regeneration niches: evidence from 21 Dipterocarp species using size-specific RGRs. Biotropica 44, 627-636.
- Turnbull LA, CD Philipson, DW Purves, RL Atkinson, J Cunniff, A Goodenough, Y Hautier, J Houghton, TR Marthews, CP Osborne, C Paul-Victor, KE Rose, P Saner, SH Taylor, FI Woodward, A Hector and M Rees. (2012) Plant growth rates and seed size: a re-evaluation. Ecology 93, 1283-1289.
- Paine CET, TR Marthews, DR Vogt, DW Purves, M Rees, A Hector and LA Turnbull. (2012) How to fit nonlinear plant growth models and calculate growth rates: an update for ecologists. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 3, 245-256.
- Turnbull LA. (2012) Niche versus neutral models of community organization. Oxford Bibliographies: Ecology.
- Züst T, B Joseph, KK Shimizu, DJ Kliebenstein, and LA Turnbull. (2011) Using knockout mutants to reveal the costs of defensive traits. Proc. Roy. Soc. B 278:2598-2603.
- Fakheran S, C Paul-Victor, C Heichinger, B Schmid, U Grossniklaus and LA Turnbull. (2010) Adaptation and extinction in experimentally fragmented landscapes. PNAS,107, 19120-19125.
- Purves DW and LA Turnbull. (2010) Different but equal: the implausible assumption at the heart of neutral theory. Journal of Animal Ecology, 79, 1215 – 1225. (Faculty of 1000 recommended)
- Rees M, CP Osborne, FI Woodward, SP Hulme, LA Turnbull, Taylor, SH. (2010) Partitioning the components of RGR: how important is size-correction? American Naturalist,176, E152 – E161.
- Paul-Victor C, T Züst, M Rees, D Kliebenstein, and LA Turnbull. (2010) A new method for measuring relative growth rate can uncover the costs of defensive compounds in Arabidopsis thaliana. New Phytologist, 187, 1102-1111.
- Turnbull LA, J Levine, A Fergus and J Petermann. (2010) Species diversity reduces invasion success in pathogen-regulated communities. Oikos 119, 1040-1046.
- Hautier Y, A Hector, E Vojtech, DW Purves and LA Turnbull. (2010) Modelling the growth of parasitic plants. Journal of Ecology 98, 857-866. (Winner of Harper Prize)
- Petermann J, A Fergus, C Roscher, LA Turnbull, A Weigelt and Schmid B. (2010) Biology, chance or history? The predictable re-assembly of temperate grassland communities. Ecology 91, 408-421.
- Rose, K, R Atkinson, LA Turnbull and Rees, M. (2009) The costs and benefits of fast living. Ecology Letters 12, 1379-1384.
- Paul-Victor C and LA Turnbull. (2009)The effect of growth conditions on the seed size/number trade-off. PLOS-ONE 4(9): e6917. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0006917
- Petermann J, A Fergus, LA Turnbull, and Schmid B. (2008) Janzen-Connell effects are widespread and strong enough to maintain diversity in grasslands. Ecology, 89, 2399-2406. (Faculty of 1000 must-read)
- Turnbull LA, M Rees and Purves DW. (2008) Why equalising trade-offs aren’t always neutral. Ecology Letters, 11, 1037-1046.
- Turnbull LA, C Paul-Victor, B Schmid and Purves DW. (2008) Growth rates, seed size, and physiology: do small-seeded species really grow faster? Ecology, 89, 1352-1363. (Faculty of 1000 exceptional)
- Vojtech E, Turnbull LA, Hector A. (2007) Differences in Light Interception in Grass Monocultures Predict Short-Term Competitive Outcomes under Productive Conditions. PLoS ONE 2(6): e499. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000499.
- Turnbull LA, DA Coomes, DW Purves, M Rees. (2007) How spatial structure alters population and community dynamics in a natural plant community. Journal of Ecology 95: 79-89.
- Turnbull LA,L Santamaria, T Martorell, J Rallo, and A Hector. (2006) Seed size variability: from carob to carats. Biology Letters 2: 397-400.
- Turnbull LA, S Rahm, O Baudois, S Eichenberger-Glinz, L Wacker and Schmid B. (2005) Experimental invasion by legumes reveals non-random assembly rules in grassland communities. Journal of Ecology 93: 1062-1070.
- Turnbull LA, L Manley, and M Rees. (2005) Niches, rather than neutrality, structure a grassland pioneer guild. Proc. R. Soc. B 272: 1357-1364.
- Turnbull LA, DA Coomes, A Hector, and M Rees. (2004) Seed mass and the competition/colonization trade-off: competitive interactions and spatial patterns in a guild of annual plants. Journal of Ecology 92:97-109.
- Coomes DA, M Rees, L Turnbull, and S Ratcliffe. (2002) On the mechanisms of coexistence among annual-plant species, using neighbourhood techniques and simulation models. Plant Ecology 163:23-38.
- Coomes DA, M Rees, PJ Grubb, and L Turnbull. (2002) Are differences in seed mass among species important in structuring plant communities? Evidence from analyses of spatial and temporal variation in dune-annual populations. Oikos 96:421-432.
- Turnbull LA, MJ Crawley, and M Rees. (2000) Are plant populations seed-limited? A review of seed sowing experiments. Oikos 88:225-238.
- Rees M, M Mangel, LA Turnbull, A Sheppard, and D Briese. (2000) The effects of heterogeneity on dispersal and colonisation in plants. Pages 237-265 in M. J. Hutchings, E. A. John, and A. J. A. Stewart, editors. Ecological Consequences of Environmental Heterogeneity. Blackwell, Oxford.
- Turnbull LA, M Rees, and MJ Crawley. (1999) Seed mass and the competition/colonization trade-off: a sowing experiment. Journal of Ecology 87:899-912.
- Coomes DA, M Rees, and L Turnbull. (1999) Identifying aggregation and association in fully-mapped spatial data. Ecology 80:554-565.